Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

BACK IN THE PLAY-ACTING WAY

DON'T bother telling Norish Karman what colour to wear for her photo shoot. She is not the least interested. Her standard reply would be, ``Do you want me to be in my Gucci or Christian Dior?''

But don't get her wrong. The actress is not trying to show off. On the contrary, Norish is just being direct. After all, she was a model before she became an actress. So, dressing up would come naturally to her.

Norish is currently busy rehearsing her part in the theatre play, Gelanggang Tok Wali, which will be directed by Syukor Yon. Here, she plays the elderly role of Mak Umi, the wife of Tok Wali. The play will take centerstage at the MPPJ Hall on three consecutive days, from April 8 to 10.

Some of the media folk have not taken too kindly to Norish's forthrightness. They interpret this as ``arrogant, opinionated and pompous''.

But this Singapore-born actress is not in the least perturbed. ``They can insult me as much as they want. As long as I know I am on my right track, nothing bothers me,'' says Norish who was first introduced by actor Mahadi J. Murat through the movie Sayang Salmah.

A few selected dramas followed but none was more challenging than Syurga Di Pintu Neraka, screened over TV3 a couple of years ago. Norish played a naive girl who found herself pregnant and forced to be a drug pusher. The dramatic ending which saw her given the death sentence was very touching. Her emotional portrayal of the character received rave reviews from the critics. But Norish was modest.

``It was a good script and the cast members were all brilliant. The directing was well-executed. So, how could I go wrong?''

But she did. Not on screen but off. This happened when she gave the media the slip to have a secret wedding in 1997. Norish made no effort to save this love-hate relationship with the press. The week she got married, a few tabloids ran her bold statement: ``What's so wrong about being a second wife?''

There was a big lapse after this. She was phased out. All of a sudden, the press found the only topical thing about Norish was her unexpected marriage.

``I find it strange that people seem to intrude into my personal life. Being a celebrity doesn't mean I have to announce everything I do.''

Norish lay low for a few years. She did a few dramas and theatre plays. Even the announcement of her recent comeback didn't make the headlines.

Her baby Mohd Hakim Amani had just turned three months old last week. During a recent meeting, the proud mother spoke endlessly about her son.

``No one knew I was carrying a baby. I wanted some space after what I had gone through. Now that everything is fine, I plan to go back to acting,'' says the 25-year-old actress.

``I am very excited about the play (Gelanggang Tok Wali). I get to play a different role which requires me to display varied emotions.''

This is the second time the play is being staged. It was first staged last year. However, the plan to restage it was shelved when Norish was in the family way.

Gelanggang Tok Wali is Norish's third attempt at theatre plays. The other two were Bintang Ke Bintang and Pelayaran Nur Atma.

Though film and drama offers have been slow, Norish never gives up.

``A lot of people appreciate my work. It's a matter of time before I get the right roles. Sometimes, I wish a scriptwriter would write a good script with me in mind. I really need that challenging role to prove myself.''

But getting the right role is not a problem here, according to a close friend of hers who declined to be named.

Norish responded, ``Yes, I've heard people saying I'm not accessible. Some commented I am so aloof. Frankly, I don't care.''

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 16/3/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment