Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A TOUCH OF LUXURY FOR CELEBRITY CHEF

WHEN he started doing up his penthouse in an exclusive condominium in Jalan Ampang, Chef Wan admitted he had no idea of how he wanted his home to look.

“All I wanted was a comfortable home that would reflect the many facets of my personality and lifestyle,” said the famous chef.

And instead of hiring an interior decor, Wan decided to rely on his instincts and decorate his house the way he wanted.

“I wanted a piece of me everywhere. It may look cluttered but that's me. I am always running around, doing a hundred and one things, and everything is so cluttered in my head,” said Wan, who had just come back from a TV shoot in Pulau Tengah.

Wan's house is full of knick-knacks and mementos while the built-in bookshelves are filled with rows of hardcover cookery books.

“The items I have, hold a special place in my heart because they remind me of my travel. They are rare finds,” said Wan who would soon be appearing on Greek television with celebrity chef Vefa Alexiadou, who is known as the Julia Child of Greek cuisine.

As you enter his spacious and airy penthouse, panels of glass panes and mirrors greet you, and what Wan described as a “cluttered” living room actually looked like something taken out of a lavish hotel suite.

The curved white wall, housing mementos, porcelain and art objects, acts as a focal point to the house.

Carpets and rugs from China, Turkey and Iran, which he bought while staying in Hong Kong, San Francisco and Hawaii, are everywhere in the living room, covering almost all of the wooden flooring.

An antique table supports photo frames and pictures of Wan and his family and friends. On the extreme right is a silverware potpourri holder he bought in Jaipur several years ago for RM4,000.

Other antique cupboards, sideboards and display cabinets add charm and a warm ambience to the living room.

On display are collectibles like Zulu tribal figurines from South Africa, rice bins from Chiang Mai, a classic three-tiered tiffin carrier from China, a wooden mixing bowl from Papua New Guinea, a service bell from Myanmar, and a papier-mache rooster from Spain.

“I bought most of the antiques from Hollywood Road in Hong Kong, which is famous for its antique items,” said Wan, who also frequents Tomlinson in Bangsar and Janine in Low Yatt Plaza for antique furniture.

The floral red and green sofa looks comfortable and plush and its tone is softened by throw-overs and cushions of the same shades.

A bouquet of fresh flowers and elegant scented Harum Sundal Malam stands tall in the middle of the charming coffee table surrounded by stacks of neatly-arranged home and food magazines.

There is an interesting spread of colours in the hall but are all kept along the same shades. Bright colours are soften with pastels and the decorative lamp shades give the room a touch of elegance.

The kitchen is simple but modern, with an island working area in the centre. Wan believes in splurging for practical things like ovens and cabinets and decided that Gaggenau, a leading German brand of kitchen cabinet was the best because of its high durability.

The master bedroom is dominated by a RM90,000 four poster bed made of cherry wood. The silk carpet beside the bed is strikingly beautiful and well worth its RM70,000 price tag.

“I wanted a bedroom that could make me forget the world. I just have to close the French windows and switch on the air conditioner and I will sleep through anything. After travelling for a long time, I really need a place to relax and there is nothing like home,” Wan said.

A writing table made of rare huang huali (yellow flower pear) wood, costing RM20,000, is placed on the left side of the room. There are spider plants on the two side tables, while burgundy brown curtains added to the decor. An Ottoman lazy chair completes Wan's tribute to rest and relaxation.

Wan admitted that everything around the house looks luxurious.

“I have spent quite a bit for all my houses, but I have worked so hard and I think I deserve this nice retreat, right?”

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 29/5/2004

No comments:

Post a Comment