Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S A BROTHER

BROTHERS do not break up when they have differences. They only take a breather and wish for the best. Perhaps this was how Yassin of nasyid group Brothers felt when he took ``time off'' from the group and went solo.

Yassin has signed up with Warner Music and is recording an album with a world-music concept while the other three members are still with Ambang Klasik working on their third album.

Brothers held a press conference recently to clear the air about Yassin leaving the group. It was a pleasant surprise to see Yassin making time for the event.

``I am not using Brothers as a stepping stone to achieve what I want. We've talked about it and I've decided it's best if I left the group since I want to do something different on my own,'' says Yassin who sported a new look for a part in the movie Syukur 21.

But Yassin does not dismiss the possibility of him working with Brothers again.

``At this point, it's too early to say how my debut album will fare. If it doesn't work out, then maybe .... No, I am not using Brothers to get what I want.''

He adds, ``We respect each other's wishes. I've discussed with the gang my decision to do a solo album. Similarly, if I decide to be with Brothers again, we'll have another discussion. I am sure no one will be against the idea.''

Meanwhile the nasyid group has found a new member in the person of Irwanyzan Idrus (Irwan for short) who is a huge fan of Brothers'.

Irwan was not present at the press conference as he was with his ailing grandmother in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

According to members of Brothers comprising Mohd Salleh Mohd Din, Abdullah Faiz Mohamad and Syah Rizal Mohamad, Irwan is joining the group permanently.

``Even if Yassin decides to join us again after his one-year break, we'll still retain Irwan,'' says Faiz.

For Syah, all the talk about Brothers not surviving after Yassin's departure is unfounded.

``Yassin is not the backbone of Brothers. None of us is. Brothers is strong because of each and everyone of us. We all have our own strength as we can sing and compose songs,'' he explains.

Brothers is currently working on its third album. They have recorded three songs Man Ana in Arabic, Lafazkan and Teman Sejati (a re-recording of the group's hit song last year featuring Irawan).

The album is jointly produced by Brothers, its manager Azman Mat Isa and Brois Productions executive producer Ahmad Sharani Ismail.

The group has also started its website and will soon embark on a three-month tour to Indonesia and stage a concert in Liverpool, England.

Meanwhile, in a separate interview with Irwan, he says, ``To be part of Brothers is good enough, what more with international concerts. I was told the concerts would be held during my term break so that I could go along,'' says the 20-year-old Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) student.

All said, Yassin is unhappy with talk about him taking over from Yassin.

``I am not replacing Yassin. I was called in to strengthen the group's line-up. I am a big fan of Brothers and I have known the members personally for the past three years. Adapting to the group is not a big problem for me,'' says the cute-looking Irwan who is also the youngest member.

Irwan, a nasyid singer himself, first met Brothers when the group performed in Sabah in 1997. From there, he developed a friendship with them and has grown into an ardent fan of the group since.

When Yassin left the group, Brois Productions manager Azman Mat Isa invited him to join Brothers.

``I love to be part of Brothers. There are expectations and I hope I will not disappoint the fans,'' says the young composer who also plays the keyboards.

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 24/4/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment