Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

YASIN'S FORAY INTO WORLD MUSIC

DO not make the mistake of calling Yasin a nasyid singer again because he isn't one. And the fact that he made the bold move to discard the seemingly religious kopiah (skull cap), something which many regard as a religious headgear, does not mean he is less religious now. Yasin, an ex-member of nasyid group Brothers, doesn't seem to think wearing a kopiah has any bearing with a person's religious beliefs.

``That is a wrong perception. Ketayap (skull cap) or kopiah should not be viewed as something religious. It's just a headgear worn by Muslims. When I first donned it, it was just part of an image thing for Brothers. It so happened we were singing religious songs, so everyone thought that should be it - a singer wearing kopiah singing nasyid. Eventually I was looked upon as a religious singer,'' said Yasin.

Another thing which Yasin feels compelled to talk at length is why people seem to associate nasyid with religious songs.

``Just what is nasyid? Most people classify nasyid as religious songs. Brothers never called themselves a nasyid group. We were singing world music just like Hijjaz singing Irama Malaysia type of songs.

``The truth is any song that has good messages about God or religion is considered nasyid. Singers who have done this qualify to be known as nasyid singers. One good example is M. Nasir,'' explained the former student of Maahad Religious School in Kajang, Selangor.

``Do you know that Raihan's songs are classified as world music in the west and that's what we should do here. We should stop branding songs by groups wearing kopiah as nasyid,'' said this Universiti Malaya graduate of Syariah and Business Studies.

Leaving Brothers to go solo a year ago was a big move for Yasin, and so is recording a solo album on world music. He regards his debut album with Warner Music as an adjustment period.

His first solo album Mimpi Laila which was recorded last August will be a true test for his loyal fans.

Yasin, who produced the album, took 130 hours over a period of two months to record the 10 songs.

Pleased with the selection, he added: ``Most of the songs were written based on historical events. I was inspired by the books I read and the epic movies I watched. All these thrown in with a bit of imagination was what made Mimpi Laila. I am sure my fans will like it.''

There aren't many love songs featured on the album because Yasin wants something different. The album comprises title track Rindu Padamu (a song which can easily be interpreted as universal love), Ithbauni (Follow Me), Air Di Padang Pasir, Say You Believe, Hanya Satu, Kembara Suriaraya, Dia Lihat Dia Datang, Wahasytuni (I Miss You) and Aishah.

Yasin said that the world music concept suits his image well.

``This was what I had wanted to do when I first started singing and I think it suits me really well. Getting the right concept is important for any singer. It will determine if a singer is going in the right direction.

``I strongly believe a singer should have the freedom to choose the kind of concept that suits him in order to excel. More often, singers have to live up to the producers' whims and fancies.''

Yasin thinks he is very lucky as he gets to produce, choose and sing the way he wants to.

``Warner Music gave me a lot of freedom to exercise my creative skills here. It took a risk and allowed me to do to do what I wanted on this album. And being a person who thrives on challenges, I was game enough to go ahead with the idea.''

Yasin picked new aspiring composers Farihin Abdul Fatah, Steve Hassan Thornton, Mujahid Abdul Wahab and Jeff Hazimin to work with him on Mimpi Laila.

He is now busy with his road tour in the rural areas to promote the album.

``Most of my fans are from the rural areas. Since the market is very subjective and unpredictable, I have to do a lot of promotional visits and the songs need more airplay. But then again, songs too have to be radio friendly. So far, Mimpi Laila has been getting favourable airplay.''

Singing aside, Yasin has also showed his inclination towards acting lately. It all started with his good looks - freckles and blond hair, which he inherited from his Australian mother. It earned him his first acting offer Syukur 21 two years ago.

``It was just a supporting role. I never thought of it as anything serious. Gradually, I became hooked,'' said Yasin who has received a few substantial roles after the stint.

Born Yasin Sulaiman in Kuala Lumpur, this multi-talented singer recalled having a strong religious upbringing. The third of seven siblings, Yasin studied in a religious school since Primary One. He spent nine years in Saudi Arabia with his family. As a result, he is fluent in Arabic, Bahasa and English.

Yasin pointed out that he is still unattached and is not in a hurry to find a soul mate. He had been associated with many but he claims ``They are just rumours and I don't have a steady girlfriend. I have a long way to go and I am quite happy the way things have been shaping up for me lately.

``Singing gives me contentment and pleasure while a full-time job makes me feel financially independent,'' said Yasin who is the artiste and repertoire manager of MIG Records.

All said, pursuing religious studies during his leisure time ranks high on his priority list. He describes it as ``the food that feeds my soul.'' That's really food for thought for a guy who doesn't think a religious dress code has anything to do with a person's faith.

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 15/4/2001

No comments:

Post a Comment