Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

GETTING TO KNOW THE REAL AJIN

HIS eyes are intense, his smile simply beguiling and his hairstyle is something which we can only pray doesn't set a trend long as it is from the crown to the waist, which makes him resemble Kitaro, that famous Japanese musician. The odd thing about the hairdo: it looks normal after talking to Ajin, formerly of the Black Rose fame, at length.

Ajin answered ``Yo'' when I knocked on his studio door in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur. His bedroom and living area double up as one and the homely apartment looks more like a mobile home. There's a bumper sticker which reads ``Coming Out from the Dark'' pasted on one side of the wall just below a huge picture of Kitaro.

The graffiti on the entrance door is colourful, to say the least. The flashy ones belong to a dozen of girls giving an indication that Ajin, like any normal young man, has lived life to the fullest.

While Ajin is comfortably stretched out on a sofa, I sat precarously on a small chair. The place looks more like a cave not an ideal place for an interview but cosy enough to get to know the brains behind Rabak ... Sukati Kaulah, Ajin's second solo album which he produced, financed and released under his own label Arena Rekod.

For this hard-working musician, lying around the house-cum-studio just relaxing is a real luxury, something which he can't afford to do often.

In fact, he has continuously worked and have never taken time off since the album took off the ground early this year.

``Granting this interview is like taking up a big chunk of my time,'' said Ajin, before talking passionately about his underground Malay album.

Rabak has a raw rock `n' roll sound to it and boasts of a back-to basic arrangements. He did almost everything, including writing the songs producing and playing different instruments in the album.

By the way, Rabak is a Mat Rock lingo which means extreme or radical. Ajin chose the name because that's how he wants people to know him and his work.

``I am a radical person. Whatever I do is bound to be extreme.People will only buy my album if they appreciate my music. I am not bothered if people do not like my album,'' said Ajin.

Fortunately for Ajin, Rabak is getting favourable reviews from music critics and enjoys a lot of airplay especially over Era. But Ajin shrugged it off as mere coincidence.

``There is nothing unique about my compositions. The songs I wrote are simple in arrangements but deep in meaning. All the numbers are quite spontaneous because they were thought of on the spot. But then the emotions are real and honest, perhaps that's why they are getting positive feedback,'' said Ajin.

Rabak was recorded in parts right from 1997 till last year. Unlike other composers/producers, Ajin is one person who doesn't write songs with a target audience in mind.

``I wanted a high quality album and I wasn't really interested in who would be listening to my songs. I don't care what others think about my music as long as I feel strongly about it.''

A strong-headed and opinionated musician, it would probably be a futile effort to have a debate with Ajin about his perception of music, people in the industry and his aspiration.

``I don't have time to talk about petty things. I don't care what my peers are doing. What's important is I know I am going in the right direction,'' said Ajin who hailed from Nilai, Negri Sembilan.

Ajin has come a long way from his Black Rose days. The ex-vocalist of the group said callously that leaving Black Rose was the most sensible thing he ever did but ``let's not dwell into it.''

Just for the record, Black Rose garnered a lot of attention and reached its peak through its self titled debut album which sold over 96,000 copies in 1991 and was released under the BMG Pacific banner.

Black Rose chartered the popular song Penantian which became an instant hit until it was discovered that the band was Malaysia's very own version of Milli Vanilli. The revelation came to light after Ajin failed to perform live during the Juara Lagu 1991, causing the band to break up.

Ajin wanted to put the embarrassing episode behind him. So, he ventured to start on a fresh note, hence his solo debut album Dari Ajin Untuk Rakan-Rakan which was released in 1993.

For Ajin, the album was merely to prove a point and he wanted to come out from Black Rose's shadow.

After nine long years, it could be safely said that Ajin has successfully transformed himself into a .... ``the word is an individualistic artiste,'' said Ajin.

``Some people describe me in derogatory terms but it doesn't bother me in the least. At the end of the day, my work will speak for itself,'' said Ajin who has produced several albums, namely for pop group KU2.

Dismissing this unassuming artiste as just another rocker would be a grave mistake. This young artiste is adept at doing what he is comfortable at and this includes his long list of stints as album producer, composer, arranger, sessionist, cartoonist and singer.

Ajin sticks to what he believes in, running his production house Arena Rekod, which he regards as an art training centre for artistes to expand their talents.

Ajin was born Mohd Zain Jais in 1968. He is the sixth in a family of seven siblings. To the question: Were you a happy kid? Ajin offers a mean silence.

``To tell the truth I'd rather not talk about it.'' This was followed by another long silence. ``I was a happy kid because I got to do what I like painting.''

Ajin recalled he was a teacher's nightmare. School was a real bore. Completing his homework and studying for exams were the most tormenting moments for Ajin. He was constantly in trouble trying to get in his teachers good books. It was only his art teacher who took him seriously.

Ajin was the best art student his school ever produced, coming up tops in class and all his paintings never failed to grace the walls of the classrooms. One of his art teachers used to tell him this: ``I have lots of good students who can draw. What they didn't have was your determination and spontaniety.''

Ajin said he would love to concentrate on his art work one day. In fact, he is working towards that goal now. He aspires to hold an exhibition of all his charcoal drawings and cartoon caricatures.

He has already started compiling hundreds of comic strips and intends to start a comic magazine one day. His older sister Sabariah, who goes by the pseudonym Cabai, is also a popular cartoonist with a humour magazine.

Ajin's interest in music dates back to his school days. Back from school, Ajin would find time to play the harmonica, guitar and drums. It is the drums that gave him tremendous pleasure. Soon, Ajin was invited to perform at weddings.

It was then that Ajin realised his love for performing and his burning ambition was to become a singer.

Long before he became a recording artiste, Ajin tasted fame and glamour back in his humble abode in Nilai where he was a nasyid singer.

Ajin said he still love singing because he likes the challenge of trying to create something completely new.

What gives his complete joy now is to do well in his entertainment related business.

``I don't owe anybody anything for the job I've accepted. This is the world I live in. I do what I think is best for me. I was rebellious once, but not any more. Right now, it's all about money. I am so responsible now to my family and the people in my life,'' said Ajin.

``When I was much younger, I've lost family members and friends to sudden, tragic deaths. I think people should be aware of their own mortality and not think they are going to be here forever.''

Before ending the interview, Ajin wanted to make clear his stand. ``I may appear disorganised (with this unruly hair) but I am not. It is difficult for people to believe that I can be both chaotic and organised. It all depends on the situation.''

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 1/10/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment