Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

BEAUTY AND ALL THE BEST

AFTER 10 years away from the spotlight, Sarimah Ahmad, the legendary leading lady of the 1960s Malay silver screen, returned to Malaysia from Brunei last November and found herself an unwilling media target.And the media has not been kind. She is baffled and hurt.

''I'll be 60 in April. I'm not interested in being in the public eye. All I'm interested in is spending time with my husband, children and grandchildren,'' said a calm and composed Sarimah. an English-language daily reported that she came home ''alone'' without her husband. Sarimah was at her wit's end explaining the actual situation to curious fans, friends and family members.

''I don't know whether I was misquoted or the reporter had unintentionally misinterpreted me. Whatever it was, I was unnecessarily swamped by calls and questions asking me to explain my marital status. It's so ridiculous. I am very much married to my husband,'' said a perplexed Sarimah who is from Pekan, Pahang.

But this was just the start Sarimah is back in the public eye, whether she likes it or not.Before that, a local English-language magazine in its July issue last year had attributed her still vibrant beauty to susuk (a charmed gold or diamond piece inserted in certain parts of the body to enhance beauty). She denied this vehemently.

''Just because someone looks good despite her age, does it mean she has resorted to susuk or plastic surgery? I can't allow this to go on. It's a baseless accusation and very disparaging. I have not done anything to hurt anyone. Anyway, why bring up all this now - during my twilight years. I have my husband and children. At least have some respect for them,'' said the former prima donna in an exclusive interview recently at her residence in Subang Jaya. the magazine had also made some cutting comments about her previous marriages and financial status. ''I am deeply disturbed. This is a matter of maruah (dignity). I can't go around explaining to people I meet that all the accusations are not true,'' said Sarimah who returned to Malaysia with husband Datuk Paduka Pengiran Hj Hidup Hj Hashim, a Bruneian businessman who is now retired.To put a stop to all this, Sarimah has decided to sue the magazine. ''After discussing it with my family and friends, I have consulted my lawyer to take the matter up. If I allow this to go on, I will never have peace of mind.''

Sarimah devoted half her life to showbiz, gracing the celluloid with classics like Ali Baba Bujang Lapok, Si Tanggang, Tiga Abdul, Madu Tiga, Ibu Mertuaku, Bidasari, Dayang Senandong and Raja Bersiong. And now that she is back home for good, the veteran said she is not planning to go into acting - at least not just yet.

''I can't say that I have turned my back on acting for good. I devoted half my life to acting and that's the only job that I have done. There have been offers but I am not too keen right now. I have my religious classes to attend to and other obligations. I am not sure if I want to act anymore,'' explained the actress who has been paired with top leading actors such as P. Ramlee, Aziz Jaafar, Jins Shamsuddin and Ahmad Mahmud.

During the 1982 Malaysian Film Festival, Sarimah was adjudged Best Actress for Dia Ibuku. According to her fans, the award was overdue, but Sarimah feels it was a really pleasant surprise. She is one actress who has never felt satisfied with her performances.

''I never felt that I have done justice to my roles. I wanted to perfect the roles all the time even until now,'' she said.

Sarimah turned melancholic when asked to recall her experiences. ''Those days, we went into acting because we wanted a job. Apart from the keen interest and talent, we were disciplined. This is very important, as only with discipline, we are able to give our best. You don't hear a director waiting on the actors back then. Now it's the other way around.'' Sarimah herself had produced four movies, namely, Dia Ibuku, Jejak Bertapak, Detik 12 Malam and Kabus Tengahari. She said she has also acted in 40 to 50 movies but this number cannot be confirmed because records are incomplete.

For Sarimah, maintaining one's popularity wasn't one of the priorities then. ''None of us were bothered about whether we would be in the news. It was more of keeping a job to keep us going,'' said Sarimah, best known for her role as Sabariah in a P. Ramlee classic Ibu Mertuaku.

At 60, this grandmother of 24 from her six children still retained her immaculate style of dressing. ''Dressing up comes naturally to me. It reflects one's personality and confidence,'' said the versatile actress who is now pursuing her jamu (traditional health and beauty supplements) business with the brand name Mayang Suri.

Ever since she came home Sarimah has been getting a lot of offers to act, appear on TV shows and give motivational talks on beauty care. However, she is more interested in continuing work on her book on beauty entitled Kecantikan Luar dan Dalam (Beauty Inside Out).

''I started on the book a few years ago. When I followed my husband to Brunei, it was put on hold. It has been many years since. Now that I have the time, I hope to complete it.'' on her marriage to Pengiran Hj Hidup, Sarimah said she is a contented woman now.

''It is a good partnership. I regard him as my true companion, my best friend and advisor. I am glad that he has been very understanding and loving. I can't ask for more. And I thank God for that,'' said a beaming Sarimah, adding that she is so touched that she still have hordes of fans despite her absence and age.

''God has given me everything - fame, wealth, beautiful children and a loving husband. I don't want anything else. I should devote my time to Him now.''

No comments:

Post a Comment