Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

THE SERIOUS COMEDY ACTOR

THE mention of Zainal Ariffin Abdul Hamid does not ring a bell. But if you mention the name Zaibo, many people would recognise it instantly.More often, this reference is by no means derogatory. He doesn't feel offended or upset with this name unless, of course, when it is called out in an insulting manner.

He recalled some young boys once shouted ''Cayalah Botak,'' ''Steady-lah Botak,'' which sounded more like an insult than a compliment.

Then, once while shopping at the Pudu market in Kuala Lumpur, one man shouted his name and told him to buy a type of vegetable that could enhance hair growth.

''I am quite sensitive but there are certain things which I don't take to heart, especially when it is a fact of life, like being called Botak. When it is said in a casual, friendly way, it's fine,'' said Zaibo, who plays Pak Selamat in ntv7's popular sitcom Spanar Jaya.

''But if someone called me that and I become the brunt of his jokes, that is something I cannot accept. It's humiliating and disrespectful.''

According to Zaibo, he noticed that some of his fans do not know where his acting stops and reality begins.

''They assume that I am Zaibo, the comedy actor on and off screen all the time. But how do I tell them that I don't clown around in my everyday life, or that I am tired of my screen persona.''

Zaibo feels that most people are confused between a comedy actor and a comedian. Comedians are those who go on stage, crack jokes or do slapstick or stand-up comedy, while a comedy actor is one who portrays funny characters.

''I am NOT a comedian but a comedy actor. I have a lot of respect for comedians who do stand-up comic or slapstick comedy because it is not easy to do that. But it's not fair to compare comedians and comedy actors because both are good in their own areas,'' explained Zaibo, who was a temporary teacher in a Tamil school in Bukit Mertajam.

''If you don't like watching slapstick comedy, then don't watch but don't condemn. There are people who like this kind of comedy.''

Perhaps this statement was made to clear the air about the ''clown'' tag that has dogged him since the start of his career.

Acting was not his first career. After he finished Form Six, he moved to Kuala Lumpur and worked at Universiti Pertanian Malaysia's (now Universiti Putra Malaysia) cultural unit as a dancer.

Tired of the stability provided by a steady job, Zaibo decided to be a freelance actor. At 28, he got his first break in acting from RTM.

He completed a one-year acting course in 1984 and decided to do a four-year degree course in performing arts in Universiti Sains Malaysia.

While doing his practical training at RTM, helping out in drama productions, he was offered small roles.

His other exposure came when Rohani Yousoff, who was then heading TV3's entertainment unit, offered him a small role in a Hari Raya programme called Haripu with Imuda, Sabri Yunus and Ida Nerina. Then came a role in Othman Hafsham's sitcom, 2+1. From then on, his popularity soared.

Zaibo has also appeared in several commercials including pesticide and cough sweets advertisements. The offers were made to capitalise on his balding head and not his acting skills.

''I am aware of that but there are times when I just don't think about it. As long as my talent is taken seriously and I feel happy portraying a certain role, I'll just do it,'' explained Zaibo, who has also appeared in movies Queen Control and Soal Hati.

But his most famous role to date is Pak Selamat in Spanar Jaya, which has now entered its fifth season. Together with Ahmad Idham, Opie Mat Rock and Wardina, who plays Zaibo's screen daughter, the cast is like one big happy family.

''We have never acted together in any show before, so being together in Spanar Jaya is a different experience. We get along well, just like a real family,'' said Zaibo, who has acted in Television Corporation of Singapore's Can I Help You? and Under One Roof.

''It's a nice feeling to be acknowledged when you are in a crowd. Whether it is Zaibo or Pak Selamat, I know my fans like me and that's very assuring,'' said the actor, who hails from Alor Star.

''The day I started acting, I was aware that I was going to join this so-called glamour world. I never paid much attention to it. All the time, I try to improve on acting, remain humble and not get carried away.

''There was a time, very early in my acting career, when I thought people were watching me and I was so conscious of my actions and dressing.

''Luckily, I finally realised that I was not behaving in a natural way and I decided to be myself.''

Zaibo is happy that he has never been over-exposed.

''I suppose that is why I am able to be what I am today. I believe actors should keep their feet firmly on the ground and not be clouded by glamour or popularity because all that do not last,'' said Zaibo, who had acted in the theatre play Tiang Seri Tegak Seribu.

Whether he is in a theatre play, TV drama, movie or sitcom, Zaibo takes his job seriously. Like a chameleon, he is able to switch from being serious, clumsy, intellectual to funny, effeminate or dumb.

Zaibo has given comedy acting a breath of fresh air with his quick and witty repartees, something that not many local comedy actors are able to do.

Perhaps this was what made him stand out when he was handpicked to appear in Anna and the King with Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fatt two years ago.

The veteran actor of six movies and over 100 dramas feels that his acting skills have not been really tested. ''I have yet to be given a challenging role, maybe a deranged character or a lonely man suffering from Alzheimer's.''

At 45, Zaibo still remains a bachelor. ''I missed the boat many times. Now I let things happen naturally. Maybe I am destined to remain single.''

Well, we do not know what destiny has in store for him. But fans would love Zaibo to remain as he is - a comedy actor who is able to take your perspective of life and turn it into humour.

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 23/9/2001

No comments:

Post a Comment