Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

BIDAYUH STAR TRUE TO ROOTS

THE most common question that people ask when they see tribal tattoos on actor Tony Eusoff's arms is “Sakit tak?” (Are they painful?”).

“Well, yes. But I am really happy with my tattoos. It was an experience, something I believe in as my grandfather and all my ancestors have them. So it was more of a cultural decision for me,” said the Bidayuh-born actor who had the tattoos done five years ago.

And the second question that people asked him is “Are you Muslim?” No, Tony is born Anthony Joseph anak Hermas Rajiman. But don't bother asking him whether he has mixed parentage.

“I am confused. Maybe I am. I don't know,” said the former architect who graduated from Universiti Malaya.

The handsome star had his tattoos done in Kuala Lumpur and decided on tribal ones as he felt it was a dying art.

“But you have to be sure that you want it because it can't be removed,” said Tony, who spent four hours getting his first tattoo done. It is an abstract floral design on his right arm.

He said: “When the tattoo artist dipped the needle-like pistol into my flesh, there was so much blood. And the blood was all mixed up with the black ink. It was quite a horrid sight. But I was adamant to carry on despite the pain and blood.”

Several months later, he decided to have another go. This time, Tony chose the design of a dragon. The process took eight painful hours and the result was a beautiful tribal design, which Tony says is “a sign of courage and bravery”.

Now after five years, he says: “I don’t plan to get any more but I’m really glad I got them. My people are proud of their tattoos. Somehow the tattoos make them feel great and different. At least now I know how they feel,” said Tony who is now shooting a TV drama titled Squad Elite where he plays an undercover Customs investigator named Ryan Fernando.

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 9/6/2005

No comments:

Post a Comment