Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

INSPIRED BY DUCKLING TALE

SINGER Dayang Nurfaizah has always been fascinated with The Ugly Duckling tale. There are many aspects of the story which she really likes especially the fairy-tale ending.

"I was so different from my other siblings that my aunty used to say that I was an ugly duckling," says the new recording artiste of Delima Records.

However, another aunt felt otherwise. She thought Dayang was more like Dayang Senandung - that famous Malay folklore about a cursed, dark-skinned princess who changed her skin colour after she was chased out from the palace and started calling her Nandung (short for Senandung). The name stuck and she's been affectionately called this at home.

But in the entertainment industry, she is better known as Dayang Nurfaizah.

For Dayang, name doesn't really matter - "I am so used to being given nicknames that I don't really care any more."

Her whole career as a singer started during her school days. According to Dayang, she has always been told by friends and family members that she has a good voice. But Dayang never thought much of it until she won several song competitions.

The Kuching-born singer took part at age 12 in a Bintang Kechil competition and later went on to represent Kuching in the Golden Teen Search competition for two consecutive years, 1996 and '97. Dayang won first prize with her rendition of Whitney Houston's You Were Love.

Dayang was soon offered a recording contract by composer/producer Adnan Abu Hassan. Her debut album Hakikat Cinta is produced by Boon Tan and pop-commercial in concept. Sales of the album has been very encouraging.

"My debut album was a good effort by all involved. I think everyone should take credit for it. What really worries me is when people say I sound like Mariah Carey. She is such a great singer and I don't think I can even come anywhere near her standard. There's so much expectation when there's comparison," says the 19-year-old.

Dayang has been shortlisted in AIM's Best New Artiste category alongside Shawn Baharain, Moin, Mantera and Juliana Barnos.

"I don't think I stand a chance. I am happy to be shortlisted," says the singer who will start work on her second album soon. The new album will have an R&B-pop concept and is expected in the market before the year ends.

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 4/4/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment