Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

BUSINESS AS USUAL FOR ANITA

PLATINUM-blonde tresses and a luscious pout accentuated by intense red lipstick help mask her age. With a curvaceous figure which fills her ivory-white pantsuit to perfection, Anita Sarawak can easily cause a lass half her age to turn green with envy. But all this cannot keep at bay the fact that the years are advancing.

At 48, the songstress is constantly reminded of this each time she looks into the mirror and that although singing is very much in her blood, venturing into business that offers a more stable financial footing is necessary.

For this Las Vegas-based singer, business certainly spells financial security and this is important if she wants to maintain a comfortable lifestyle. Following the success of her boutique ``Poise'' which is now being handled by her friend, Tora, Anita took the plunge into the real-estate business sometime last month. With three other business partners, she bought some commercial land in Las Vegas.

``At least 6,000 people come to Las Vegas every week. As a businesswoman, this is good news. I still keep my boutique business but I am letting my friend run it for me. It drains me and is too time-consuming. With special clients seeking my advice, I literally have to dress them up. I've asked my business partner to handle this for me now. I was looking for a business that gives good revenue and yet would still allow me to travel and I thought real-estate would be the best,'' explained Anita who flew in recently to receive Malay daily Berita Harian's Anugerah Khas Bintang Popular (special award for a popular star).

As creative designer and vice-president of Poise, Anita will still carry on designing apparel which is merchandised under her ``Anita'' label. The real-estate transactions will be handled by Anita Sarawak Productions whereby the newly appointed business manager Martin E. Cox, who is also one of her business partners, oversees the operations. Her other partner, a banker who has been in the property business for more than a decade, will advise her on the viability of each property that she wishes to purchase.

Even though she has extended her contract with Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas, for another year, Anita is contemplating setting up a school in Malaysia to coach new talents. She is very keen to groom aspiring singers especially those who are committed, hardworking and serious about their chosen craft.

``Singing is serious business. Any singer who regards singing as a hobby is in deep trouble because singing can never be taken lightly. I really feel sorry for those who feel that way. It should be taken as a responsibility.''

For someone who has been singing for more than 30 years, this sincere comment comes from years of observation.

``To be a professional singer, one must have the endurance of an Olympic athlete - fit, physically and mentally. So, anyone who regards music as a hobby, please don't talk to me.''

Anita is amazed at the abundance of talented locals. ``Some of them, like Siti Nurhaliza, have all the makings of a good entertainer. I would love to guide and manage them. I want to inspire them on how to go about singing professionally and what it takes to do that.

``When I started singing at 15, there was no one who bothered to coach me. I learned the hard way. And because I am a realist, I survived. Singing is the most beautiful thing where one can use all the emotions to the maximum and I want these new singers to appreciate this ability,'' she explained.

On the latest in her singing career, Anita who has completed an English album titled Look After Love which she recorded one-and-half-years ago, is contemplating signing up with a local label.

``If negotiations are finalised, I would also like to distribute this album and maybe cut a Malay album as well,'' said Anita who popularised the songs Asmara, Akhirnya Kini, Pasti, Bisikan Cinta, Tragedi Buah Epal and Cinta Nan Satu.

Look After Love was produced by Indonesian Sukamto Sia while the musical producers were Reggie Griffin and Sheldon Reynolds from Earth, Wind and Fire. Anita's estranged husband, J.D Nicholson of The Commodores, contributed two songs to the album.

Is Anita thinking about coming home for good? ``Why not? If God destined that I should live here, I will. Whatever I do, I believe God has charted it that way. I miss Malaysia very much. I have been away far too long and it's nice to settle here or start a business ... `'

Anita regards the Anugerah Khas Bintang Popular award as an honour. ``It's one of the few awards that I have received. Human love is more than an award. All the love that Malaysians give me means much more than the trophy,'' said the singer who has been residing in Las Vegas for the past 10 years.

Much as she is open about her thoughts and aspirations, the affable singer deftly and amiably diverted any personal questions about the new man in her life.

``I like to look forward and not to the past. Marriage is history. If it happens again, it will. Right now, I want to concentrate on my business and my singing,'' said the thricemarried singer.

Anita will be back in Malaysia in April for the International Secretaries' Week to be held at Kuala Lumpur Hilton's Grand Nirwana Ballroom. She will be accompanied by her band, American Dream, which has a new line-up. The five-piece band will feature two existing members and three other ``extremely talented'' musicians.

``I wanted fresh musicians who are willing to try something new, take on different challenges and experiment with interesting instruments like the traditional gendang, gambus or seruling. I have come to the stage where I respect musicians who have integrity rather than those who seek monetary gains.''

For her Secretaries' Week concert next year, Anita said she wants to include local talents as one of the highlights of her show. ``I will try to work around this idea. It will truly be an honour for me if it happens.''

BY ZIEMAN - PUBLISHED 28/11/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment